Repurposing empty hospitality spaces to create short-term residencies for ambitious chefs with amazing concepts
A DIFFERENT VIEW
We envisaged a different way to serve the growing consumer trend for good, honest street food from small chef-led indie brands.
IN A NUTSHELL
Fare Traders is an ideal platform for talented chefs with big ambitions, who want to test concepts and trial operating in a fixed site without large investment. Or simply, it can be a way of tapping into more hungry customers.
We partner with landlords across the country to bridge their tenancy gaps. Our casual, inexpensive and agile ‘Fill-in Kitchens’ pop-up in prime locations, filling empty, unused spaces for 6 to 12 months (or longer), serving neighbourhoods looking for something new and interesting.
“Let’s put these empty spaces to good use so everyone wins?”
FARE TRADERS Founder & Chef
We are on the hunt for chefs. But not just any chef, chefs with big ideas and bigger ambitions – ‘chef-preneurs’ to coin a phrase.
YOU ARE AN AMBITIOUS CHEF…
who wants to work for yourself but are not sure how to go about it?
If yes – Fare Traders will back you and support you to devise, develop and launch a concept.
with a cracking concept looking to get in front of customers?
If yes – Fare Traders can help you develop, launch and grow your concept by co-investing with you to build your brand.
who already does food events but wants to take it to the next level?
If yes – Fare Traders can help you grow your brand and expand across the country with our agile, pop-up Fill-in Kitchen model.
HOW WE WORK WITH YOU
We’re here to support you from the ground up. Choose what level of support you need and we’ll back you all the way.
Phase 1 : Get supported
- Get the ideas from your head onto paper (or screen)
- Develop and define a cohesive food concept
- Turn your concept into commercial end-product
Phase 2 : Get THE BALL ROLLING
- Analyse your concept’s margins and refine (if necessary)
- Create a credible and robust business plan
- Develop a brand and get your social handles set-up
- Pressure test your margins, process and recipe with customers
Phase 3 : GO BIG
Partner with Fare Traders to:
- Springboard into new territories with the Fill-in Kitchen
- Launch a stand alone restaurant
Drop us a line and we’ll drill down into the details with you.
YOUR SUPPORT TEAM
Fare Traders Founder & Chef
Fare Traders Founder & Brand Strategist
Hospitality Hub Founder
Hospitality Hub Commercial Specialist
Our Fill-in Kitchens are set up to run as an efficient, closed loop system:
- A cashless customer facing app manages all orders – eat-in, take-out and delivery.
- We provide you with iPads to fulfil your orders.
- You get access to our stock management system, on which you can add your favourite suppliers and get favourable rates from other suppliers.
- Finally, we run an open P&L. Every month you can monitor your operating costs and profit margins, so you can plan ahead and start turning your dreams into a red-hot reality.
If you have an empty hospitality space, we want to help you bridge the tenancy gap.
LICENCE TO OCCUPY
Our robust ‘Licence to Occupy’ framework ensures you can continue to market your property for long-term tenants and generate an income, whilst presenting the space in the best light.
If you are a landlord with a tenancy gap, we’d love to hear from you.
HOW WE FILL SPACE
We’re not in the business of knocking through walls or ripping things out. We work with what’s already in the space, like cooking equipment, furniture and decoration.
No £100k fit-outs. No unnecessary landfill waste. We pride ourselves on being light touch, non-intrusive and always environmentally responsible.
It’s our way of helping to bring back some soul to our evolving high streets.
THE FT CODE
Making a difference is more important than making numbers. Focus on social and environmental impacts first, not vanity metrics.
Always have each other’s back. But if required, call each other out. Provide space and freedom to make mistakes (and be forgiven for them).
Find the balance between optimism and realism. Put the hard work into the opportunities where everyone wins.
Make it fun. Celebrate the ups, learn from the downs, and don’t take them to heart.
HOW WE ROLL
We believe that business should lead the way in normalising sustainable practices and help reduce the everyday impact on the environment.
That’s why from day one we baked in our stance on sustainability:
- Where possible, repurpose, reuse and recycle.
- Where practical, eliminate plastic and harmful chemicals from daily operations.
- Where commercially viable, use biodegradable materials.
- Always be carbon aware, even if we cannot always be carbon neutral.
- Support environmental initiatives that make a difference locally and globally.
- Educate, inspire and lead the way in normalising sustainable practices.